Welcome

...one woman's decision impacts her family's diet....how long can they last without a trip through the drive-thru?

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Kids CAN Cook!

It was decided at the beginning of the week that we would be making my Grandma Honey's meatballs for dinner on Sunday night. I was getting ready to make them when my 8 year old son asked "Mommy, can I cook?" I decided sure, at least let him get all of the ingredients together. So I called out what he needed, and he got everything together. Then he measured out the rice, put it in the pot and said he was ready for the next step. I helped him add water to the pot and turn on the stove, then told him how to assemble the meatballs.

At first, he said "ew" when I told him that he would be mushing the meat together with the egg and the breadcrumbs but after a couple minutes he was done. I then demonstrated how to roll them into a ball and after heating up the skillet for him, he carefully placed the little round balls of meat into the skillet all by himself.

He was such a cute little chef. He timed the rice, made sure to lift the lid whenever the bubbles started to come out over the edge, and carefully put the lid back into place. He even turned the meatballs in the skillet to make sure that they browned on every side and cooked throughly. I am so proud of him, and the meatballs tasted great. It's nice to know that I have another little helper around the kitchen.

Meatballs with Rice
Serves 6
1 cup dried rice prepared according to package directions and set aside
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 lb organic ground beef
salt
pepper
1/4 c diced onion
2 Tbsp of bread crumbs (I used the Italian Seasoned kind)
1 egg
2 cloves garlic diced
1 tsp worcestershire sauce

1.) In a bowl, mix ground beef with bread crumbs, egg, worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion and salt/pepper to taste. 2.) heat a small amount of olive oil in a skillet. Roll meat into small balls and cook evenly on each side in the heated skillet until meat balls are cooked through. 3.) drain grease from pan, add in 1 can of soup with 1/2 a can of water to the cooked meatballs. Stir until soup is mixed. Heat throughly until soup is warm and bubbling. Serve over rice.

I think I am going to have to pick up a book or two for the kids and let them cook more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All opinions are appreciated, but please do not use foul language or derogatory remarks when responding to posts or comments by other readers. And please, if you are selling something...hock your wares elsewhere! Thanks!