Welcome

...one woman's decision impacts her family's diet....how long can they last without a trip through the drive-thru?

Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 16-Oven Fried Chicken

We have been internet-less here the last few days which is why there have been no posts. I've been craving fast food in the worst way for the last couple of days. Some french fries sound so good. It got to the point yesterday that I was actually tempted to take the leftovers from Panda Express that someone offered me.

Sadly....I did take a bite. Does that one bite push me all the way back to day 1? I have to say, it didn't taste as good as my orange chicken. I am definitely glad I have a good recipe for that now! I have to wonder, has anyone even tried my recipes? And if so, what do they think?? Is my family just humoring me when they say they've been good???

The other night (while internet-less) I made some oven fried chicken. Checking out some of the nutrition facts for fast food chicken, I realized that I am actually reducing my sodium intake quite a bit by cutting out those places. (Plus, have you heard about the chicken head found in a bucket of drumsticks? Ew....)

Here are the "nutrition" facts for an extra crispy thigh: (all info is in grams unless otherwise noted:)

I don't know how my oven fried chicken compares, and I know it's not as healthy as some other recipes out there. But my husband was quoted as saying it was "the best fried chicken I've had in awhile". I noramlly choose chicken that is boneless and skinless. But since the crispy skin is one of the things I love most about some fast food chicken, I left the skin on for this recipe. Turned out so good. I wasn't able to get a picture for this recipe. But I will try and get one uploaded later on. 

Oven-fried Chicken
serves: 6

6 meaty chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, or breasts with skin on)
1/3 c each: cornmeal and seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp each: garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, dried rosemary (crushed up)
1/3 c (approx) grated parmesan
olive oil

1) pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. 2) take a shallow baking dish and pour about 2 Tbsp olive oil into pan. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, chili powder and rosemary. 3) take chicken pieces, dip them in the olive oil, roll them in the crumb mix and place them on the baking sheet. (add more olive oil if needed). Make sure that none of the chicken pieces are touching. Sprinkle each crumb coated piece with a little parmesan cheese. 4) bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 min or until the chicken is cooked through, and crust is crispy. There should be no pink in the chicken, and the juices should run clear. 

Serve with mashed potatoes, or you can toss some carrots and onions in the baking dish along with the chicken to have some roast veggies. I would add them when you have about 15 minutes left. 

The family reviews:
Dad: "This is the best friend chicken I've had in a long time. I wish you would have made all the chicken we had, not just 6 pieces."

9 year old girl: "Is there more? That was really good."

8 year old boy: "I need a knife and fork to eat the chicken, but it is soooo good."

Baby: For once, there was not a single crumb of food under his high chair. He ate it all.


Side note: My husband says that I am "fired" for eating a bite of fast food yesterday. He says that he has still not had a single bite of fast food. Good for him. I am really proud of him. And you know what....I work with a bunch of people who eat fast food everyday. Do you know how hard it is to resist when your entire office smells of french fries....or panda....or.....? Well, you get the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All opinions are appreciated, but please do not use foul language or derogatory remarks when responding to posts or comments by other readers. And please, if you are selling something...hock your wares elsewhere! Thanks!